I came up with this recipe for my brother in-laws Iron Chef birthday party. It’s a great appetizer that is in my fall repertoire. It takes a bit of time, but you can make them on a rainy day and freeze them before cooking.
Makes approx. 50 rolls
1 package of phyllo dough thawed
1 medium spaghetti squash
2 medium red peppers cut in fine julienne
1 package of spicy italian sausage links (about 5 links)
1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
2 Tbl onion powder
1 Tbl garlic powder
2 Tbl fresh basil
1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil
Pre heat oven to 400 degrees
To prepare spaghetti squash:
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds
- Brush inside of squash with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Place cut side down on cookie sheet and roast for 20 -30 minutes until squash becomes soft. Try not to over cook.
- Remove from oven and let cool on counter
- Once cool, use fork to remove inside of squash. It will come out in long strands like….yup spaghetti
- Put in bowl and place in refrigerator to cool
To Prepare sausage:
- Cut casings from links and remove filling.
- In hot sauté pan, add 1 tsp of oil
- Add sausage to hot pan and use spoon to break up sausage as it cooks to a large crumble
- Cook until done, about 10 minutes
- Put a fine strainer over a bowl and pour sausage crumble in the strainer so all the grease pours off. It is important to do this, otherwise the rolls will be too soggy
To prepare filling:
In bowl add the cooked squash, cooked sausage, julienne peppers, cheese, onion and garlic powder, basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix all ingredients until incorporated
Time to start rolling.
- Lay out one sheet of pyhllo dough. You have to move fast on this otherwise the dough will dry out. Keep remaining dough covered with clean dish towel to keep from drying out.
- Brush half of sheet with oil
- Fold in half
- Again brush half the sheet with oil
- fold in half again
- Place 2 Tbl of filling at end of strip
- Fold over end to start to cover filling and start to roll forward.
- Pinch in sides as you roll forward to close off the edges
- Roll until end and then form in hand pushing in sides to seal
- Click here to see video of rolling process
Place on baking sheet with cooling rack to allow air to circulate around during cooking process. Make sure you spray the cooling rack with pan spray prior to putting the rolls on.
Bake in oven for about 17-20 minutes or until golden brown
Let cool for 15 minutes and serve.