This dish makes a great presentation either hot or cold. The flavors in the dressing are very bold but they cut the fat of the salmon very nicely, and the crunch from the slaw is fantastic. The kohlrabi adds a nice mellow peppery taste to the slaw.
6 oz salmon filet
Sesame seeds (you can do a mix of Black and white for a great presentation)
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 head of cabbage, shredded
3 carrots, pealed and shredded
6 Radishes or 1 med Kholrabi, shredded
2/3 cup Rice wine vinegar
1/4 soy sauce
2 tblsp of Sesame oil
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp ground ginger
1/2 tbsp Wasabi paste
1/4 cup olive oil
- In blender add vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic powder, onion powder, dijon mustard, ginger and wasabi paste. On high slowly drizzle in olive oil unitl dressing emulsifies.
- In large mixing bowl toss cabbage, carrots and kohlrabi (or radish).
- Pour 1/2 ro 3/4 of dressing in bowl with cabbage and toss.
- In saute pan, add olive oil
- Once hot, coat salmon with sesame seeds on all sides to form a crust. Lightly press them on so they stick to the salmon
- Place salmon in pan and sear for about 3-4 minutes on all sides. Time will vary depending on the size of your salmon
- Remove from pan and let rest for about 2 minutes
Place portion of salmon on plate and place salmon on some of slaw. Use some of the remaining dressing and drizzle over top of salmon.